About the Bulkley River
The Bulkley River has one of the largest, if not the largest, wild Steelhead runs in the world. The river is blessed with over ninety miles of classic fly water, holding Steelhead from 5 to 30 pounds. These wild fish are well known for attacking surface presentations throughout the season.
Prime time for Steelhead is early September to the first week in November. The start of the season sees green leaves on the trees, the fish rise eagerly to dries and anglers fish late into the evening. In early October the days get shorter and the leaves start to turn – it’s still warm but jackets are a must. By the end of season, when the really big fish come in, you should expect snow and cold temperatures. Hats and gloves are a must at this time of year, but so are cameras, as that fish of a lifetime is just another cast away.
Bulkley river single barbless hooks artificial only.
The Bulkley River Lodge is located on a remote section of one of the best Steelhead rivers on the planet. River-front access and no neighbors are great assets for a fishing lodge. Jet boat access from the front yard to prime beats is another advantage. Your cabin is literally a stone’s throw away from world class fishing – just put the waders on and grab the rod.
Accommodation is limited to 8 guests per week in 4 double occupancy cabins that have heat and private bath rooms. Internet is available in all cabins via wireless router. The main lodge consists of a large great room with fireplace and comfortable couches. There is a main eating area with dining room table that accommodates all clients and guides for dinner. The rear of the lodge has a retail store, fly tying table and kitchen area. There are no separate areas for guides and staff – all guests are welcome in all areas of the lodge.
Our daily itinerary:
- Friendly wake-up call with tea or coffee first thing in the morning.
- Guests congregate in the main lodge to a great hot breakfast before the day’s fishing.
- Then to the dry room, where all the wet gear from the day before has been drying overnight. Get into waders and boots and collect the rods.
- From here it’s either to one of two jet boats parked in front of the lodge, or to a vehicle to shuttle to a different part of the river where there are either jet boats or rafts waiting.
- We limit two anglers to one guide to maximize the fishing experience. All the fishing is done by either floating certain sections in rafts or using jet boats. We mostly walk and wade but there are times when fishing out of the boat is an advantage.
- A great hot lunch, including soup every day, is sent with each guide in the morning.
- After the day it’s back to the lodge to dry out. Cold beer or cocktails as you step out of the boat or vehicle, then to the dry room to put everything away.
- Dinner is usually late, between 7 and 8 daily. You will soon realize that you are eating at the best restaurant within 500 miles of Smithers. The food at Bulkley River Lodge is regularly excellent and sometimes unbelievable.
- The day usually ends in front of the fire on the leather couches or bugging the guides in the back room. In both places you will hear great stories from the day’s events. The main difference would be the lies and exaggeration in the front room versus the hard truth and laughter in the back – you can make the choice.
7 Day Package
- 7 nights of accomodation at the Bulkley River Lodge
- 7 days of guided Steelhead fishing using drift and/or jet boat (two guests per guide)
- Deluxe meals prepared by our professional chef
- Airport transfers to and from the Smithers airport
- Premium spirits and non-alcoholic beverages, including wine with dinner
- Fishing licence
$6955.00 US/per person
Not included in your trip:
- Gratuities and air transportation to and from Smithers, BC.
- A deposit of 50% of your trip total is due on or before Jan 15 to secure your reservation. This deposit is non-refundable. Final balance is due June 15.
International flight: Kyiv – Amsterdam – Vancouver
Domestic flight: Vancouver – Smithers (approx 2 hrs)
Overnight in the hotel
Morning auto transfer: Smithers – Lodge (approx 45 min)
We recommend a layering system under the Waders and Wading Jacket so that all weather hot or cold can be fished through comfortably.
- Baselayer poly pro/ merino wool
- Good quality wading jacket wind and rain protector
- Light/ medium fleece layer hooded is a good option
- Synthetic or down insulating jacket light weight
- Baselayer poly pro/ merino long pants
- Synthetic down pant
- Light fleece pant
- 4/5 ply breathable waders stockingfoot. Good quality Bootfits also an option
- Boots- felt sole only (studs not needed) rubber sole NO good (even with cleats)
Other Helpful Items
- Fingerless fleece gloves
- Large ski gloves
- Touque/ beenie
- Baseball/ brimmed hat
- Polarized fishing glasses brown lens
- Hand warmers (We recommend Patagonia outdoor clothing because it works, is comfortable and looks good.)